Course Code: MPM1D
This course enables students to develop an understanding of mathematical concepts related to algebra, analytic geometry & measurement and geometry through investigation, the effective use of technology & abstract reasoning. Students will investigate relationships, which they will then generalize as equations of lines, and will determine the connections between different representations of a linear relation. They will also explore relationships that emerge from the measurement of three-dimensional ﬁgures and two-dimensional shapes. Students will reason mathematically and communicate their thinking as they solve multi-step problems.
Please refer to the Ontario Ministry of Education curriculum document for details of Overall and Specific Expectations HERE.
Number Sense & Algebra
- Demonstrate an understanding of the exponent rules of multiplication and division & apply them to simplify expressions;
- Manipulate numerical and polynomial expressions & solve ﬁrst-degree equations.
- Apply data-management techniques to investigate relationships between two variables;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the characteristics of a linear relation;
- Connect various representations of a linear relation
- Determine the relationship between the form of an equation and the shape of its graph with respect to linearity and non-linearity;
- Determine,through investigation, the properties of the slope and y-intercept of a linear relation;
- Solve problems involving linear relations
Measurement & Geometry
- Determine, through investigation,the optimal values of various measurements;
- Solve problems involving the measurements of two-dimensional shapes and the surface areas and volumes of three-dimensional ﬁgures;
- Verify,through investigation facilitated by dynamic geometry software, geometric properties and relationships involving two-dimensional shapes & apply the results to solving problems.